MediaTek Kompanio 520 and Kompanio 528 for Budget Chromebooks
Chromebooks are the go-to options for even office-goers. Although the brands created them keeping the needs of students in mind, these innovative and sophisticated objects attracted quite a lot of attention in official uses as well.
In fact, the brands that manufacture smart chips, know it quite well and are now delivering several chipsets especially dedicated to Chromebooks. The recent ones in the series are MediaTek Kompanio 520 and MediaTek Kompanio 528 chips that come with some really interesting features. Let us sneak a peek into some of the major features and specifications of these Chromebook processors to know why they are growing in popularity:
Specifications of MediaTek Kompanio 520 and MediaTek Kompanio 528:
- CPU: Both of them contain an octa-core CPU. However, there is a slight difference in the CPU clock speeds. Both MediaTek Kompanio 520 and MediaTek Kompanio 528 chips contain 2 x Arm Cortex-A76 cores and 6 x Arm Cortex-A55 cores up to 2GHz. However, the higher core in MediaTek Kompanio 528 chip is clocked at 2.2GHz, while the same in MediaTek Kompanio 520 is clocked at 2GHz.
- GPU: Both the chips contain an Arm Mali G52 MC2 2EE GPU which is quite good in terms of performance.
- AI Accelerator: You get a dual-core AI processing unit (APU) with both these chips.
- Memory: MediaTek Kompanio 520 and MediaTek Kompanio 528 chips support LPDDR4x type internal memory which has a frequency reaching up to 3733Mbps.
- Storage: Both these chips come with an eMMC 5.1 flash and a hardware command queue.
- Display: Talking about the display support with the chip, you can get it in two different forms: 2520 x 1080 pixels with a display refresh rate of 60Hz and 1920 x 1080 pixels with a display refresh rate of 60Hz (Ext).
- Video Encoding and Decoding: You get video encoding features at 1920 x 1080 pixels with a refresh rate of 60fps H.264 or H.265/HEVC and video decoding at 1920 x 1080 pixels at 60fps along with features such as H.264, H.265/HEVC, VP9, etc.
- Camera: You get camera support up to 32MP with MediaTek Kompanio 520 and MediaTek Kompanio 528 chips and this could be a good thing for the buyers.
- Audio: Both these MediaTek chips contain a Hi-Fi 5 DSP support to help your audio needs.
- Connectivity: The chips support Wi-Fi via MediaTek Filogic Wi-Fi 6 chip and this could be a good option in the budget segment.
So both MediaTek Kompanio 520 and MediaTek Kompanio 528 chips sound good options for buyers, and the only difference that exists between the two chips is the CPU clock speed.
However, MediaTek has promised some really good features, and these include the support for multiple cameras with different sensors. For instance, the second camera and its powerful CPU can perform depth sensing for Portrait bokeh, or give the option of a wide lens in addition to a standard camera, so a whole team or class can interact together from a single Chromebook.
Besides, you get Wi-Fi 6 support with the chip and it is also ready for virtual assistant support. So you can expect MediaTek Kompanio 520 and MediaTek Kompanio 528 chips to deliver great performance at a low cost. What do you think?